History

The oldest school teaching Earth Sciences in Australia

1854
Frederick McCoy

Frederick McCoy

Appointed Professor of Natural Sciences in 1854, only 1 year after the University was founded, McCoy was one of the first Professors at the University. Natural Sciences preceded even the establishment of the Faculty of Science.

1899
John Walter Gregory

John Walter Gregory

Following the death of Frederick McCoy in 1899, John Walter Gregory was appointed Chair of Geology and Mineralogy. The Department of Geology was established by Professor John Walter Gregory in 1900.

1904
Ernest Willington Skeats

Ernest Willington Skeats

A year after the establishment of the Faculty of Science, Ernest Willington Skeats was appointed Chair of Geology and Mineralogy at the University of Melbourne in 1904.

1939
Fritz Loewe

Fritz Loewe

Fritz Loewe established of the Department of Meteorology at the University of Melbourne in 1939. This was the first meteorology department in Australia. Fritz Loewe undertook polar expeditions alongside his teaching duties.

1941
Herbert St. John Summers

Herbert St. John Summers

Herbert St. John Summers took over from Ernest Skeats in 1941 as Professor of Geology and Mineralogy.

1944
Edwin Sherbon Hills

Edwin Sherbon Hills

Edwin Sherbon Hills was a prolific researcher whose work spanned four fields - fossil fish, acid igneous volcanism, physiography and structural geology.

1941 -- 1942
War Years

War Years

Students were making nose-pieces for armour-piercing bullets in their spare time and Prof Edwin Hills worked together on a large 3D togographic map of Australia with the Australian Army.

1956
CSIRAC

CSIRAC

CSIRAC, the first computer at the University of Melbourne, was used at night to complete the first Australian numerical weather prediction project - marking the beginning of computer modeling research in meteorology at the University.

1977
New Building

New Building

Housing the departments of Geology and Meteorology, the McCoy building was opened in May 1977.

1990
School of Earth Sciences Established

School of Earth Sciences building

13 years after jointly being located in the McCoy building, the Departments of Geology and Meteorology were merged to form the current School of Earth Sciences in 1990.